Mayo Clinic and AVIA Announce Finalists Competing for $100,000 THINK BIG Challenge
ROCHESTER, Minn., Sept. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Six entrepreneurial health care firms have been selected as finalists in the first Mayo Clinic THINK BIG Challenge and will compete on Oct. 1 at Transform 2015 for two $50,000 awards.
Sponsored by Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation (CFI), Mayo Ventures and AVIA Health Innovation, the Mayo Clinic THINK BIG Challenge celebrates innovative ideas in two areas:
- Got Health – promoting health maintenance and prevention
- I Am Not My Disease – helping people with chronic illnesses live better, productive lives
The national competition generated more than 120 applicants competing for the total of $100,000 in awards and one year’s consultation from Mayo Clinic experts.
The six finalists will compete in a live stage presentation in Rochester, Minn. before attendees of Transform 2015, an international gathering of thought leaders working together to shape the future of health and health care. Transform attendees, voting on their smart phones, will cast the deciding votes to select two winners, one in each category.
Finalists of the Mayo Clinic THINK BIG Challenge and their innovations, are:
- Care at Hand, San Francisco, CA and Rockwell, MD
- Evidence-based smart survey and analytics platform that predicts and prevents hospitalizations using non-clinical workers.
- Dātu Health, Boulder, CO
- Persuasion Engine, a digital platform for engaging consumers daily in their health with the goal of influencing the biggest driver of adverse health outcomes: people’s everyday behavior.
- Seiva Technologies, Milwaukee, WI
- Compression garments with embedded sensors and electronics that wirelessly transmit neuromuscular responses anywhere on the body; data is analyzed into patterns of optimal performance, understanding of imbalances and overcompensation and dynamic program design.
I am Not My Disease
- Livongo, Mountain View, CA
- Reinventing the management of chronic conditions by blending technology, real-time information and human support to make life easier for people with chronic conditions, starting with diabetes.
- physIQ, Chicago, IL
- The VitaLink remote monitoring solution uses passive, sensor-based monitoring and advanced analytics to transform continuous vital sign data into an early warning system for heart failure and respiratory exacerbation.
- Wellpepper, Seattle, WA
- A clinically validated platform for digital patient treatment plans that enables health systems to implement their own care pathways and protocols and collect patient reported outcomes.
The THINK BIG Challenge is one of many events at Transform 2015, a three-day conference, hosted by Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation, at the Mayo Civic Center in Rochester on Sept. 30-Oct. 2. Now in its eighth year, the conference’s 2015 theme is People Power Health, focusing on the shift away from the traditional medical model toward people determining their own health and health care. For a complete list of Transform 2015 speakers and experiences, go to transformconference.mayo.edu/.
Reporters wanting to cover the THINK BIG Challenge and register for Transform 2015 should contact Cathryn Kennedy at email@example.com or 612-309-3951.
About Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit organization committed to medical research and education, and providing expert, whole-person care to everyone who needs healing. For more information, visit mayoclinic.com or newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org. Facebook: facebook.com/MayoClinic – Twitter: @mayoclinic
Mayo Clinic Media Contacts:
Dusanka (Duska) Anastasijevic, Mayo Clinic Public Affairs, 507-284-5005, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathryn Kennedy, Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation, 612-309-3951, email@example.com
About AVIA Health Innovation
AVIA is healthcare’s only provider-led accelerator. We believe that transformation requires innovation, and innovation starts with a focus on health systems’ challenges and opportunities. AVIA works with forward-leaning provider organizations to evaluate, select, source, and deploy the best tech-enabled solutions that support transformation while optimizing financial value. Learn more about AVIA at www.aviahealthinnovation.com. Follow us on Twitter @HealthAVIA.
AVIA Health Innovation Media Contact:
Nicole Winokur, Director of Marketing, 312.999.9600, firstname.lastname@example.org